Kite hydrofoiling in Florida

After "snowbirding" for a season, Mel and I decided to move to Sarasota, Florida.  She is rowing and busy with a new puppy (pictures coming) while kitesurf hydrofoiling is taking up most of my energy.  My photography has been mostly of my friends and fellow kitesurfers.  Against my strongest instincts, I will publish my many imperfect images to critique the flaws (I will mostly blame the equipment, ha ha).  This post touches on the limits and benefits of using  a lens wide open (f/2.8).

My beautiful wife at an early morning sculling session at Nathan Benderson Park in Sarasota, Florida.  Pretty in pink and loving her SAAKA wrist bands.  SAAKA is a locally based business which makes some very innovative products for outdoor sports.



Mel Seu and Laura Van Doerst in a double scull practicing at Nathan Benderson Park in Sarasota, Florida for the 2018 Sarasota Invitational Regatta.  They are wearing SAAKA wrist bands which are specially designed to absorb sweat in humid Florida.   Photographed with a Nikon D800e and my trusty 200-400 Nikkor in some nice afternoon light.

Zack Kaplan, one of the best hydrofoilers in the area and real estate agent extraordinaire (RE/MAX Platinum Realty, Sarasota, Florida).  He told me he was going to try to breach the wing of his foil and we got this shot on the first take.  Zack did his part but I think the image is lacking in critical sharpness.  I shot this at f/2.8 because this location has some very distracting background elements and I am never sure what angle the rider will be coming from.  I am also feeling the limits of the D800e for sports photography.
Alana and Zack Marks riding together.  I am not sure how this picture worked out.  It was also shot at f/2.8 as I couldn't stop down fast enough.  The have big, natural smiles in every frame in this sequence.  I suspect they have done this before.

Zack Marks at Skyway in Saint Petersburg, Florida making kite hydrofoiling look easy.  Photographed with a Nikon D800e and Nikkor 70-200 mm at f/2.8.  This image could be a tad sharper but I shot at f/2.8 because I hate that bridge.



Zack Marks.  He is just good.  Here, you can see the benefits of f/2.8 as the rider really "pops" and  the image has an almost 3-D look.


And finally, one of yours truly and proof that with persistence, even the poorly coordinated can achieve something difficult.  Photograph courtesy of Gunilla Imshaug, an outstanding local photographer based in Sarasota, Florida.  Gunilla's website.  She captured my better side.
More of my images at philseu.com

Comments